Healthy Vision Awareness Month
While we all agree that eyesight has a huge impact on our daily lives and is probably the sense that we would fear losing most, most people don't pay much attention till their vision until there is a problem. While a professional eye exam can catch common problems and early warning signs, there are also simple steps you can take in your day to day to life to help create healthy vision for a lifetime!
1. Always wear UV treated sunglasses,
especially during protracted periods on the water or on a golf course.
2. Always wear eye protection. Examples
of important activities are sporting events, mowing your lawn, working with
power tools or using household chemicals.
3. Always work and read in well lighted
4. Use anti-reflective coated eyeglasses
when using a computer to lessen glare and eye fatigue.
5. Eat a balanced diet including a lot
of fruits and vegetables. Concentrate on food items with a lot of lutein and
zeaxanthin (berries and veggies), as well as omega 3 fatty acids(oily fish like
6. Give up the habit of smoking.
7. Exercise regularly and keep your
weight in good control.
8. Control your blood pressure and blood
sugar, as well as cholesterol.
9. Limit alcohol intake. Using wine as
an example, males shouldn't intake more than 8oz per day, and females shouldn't intake more than 4 oz.
10. See your eye care professional every
other year if you are under age 65, or yearly if you are over age 65 or have a
known eye condition.
11. Take a good, well-known multivitamin and consider taking Omega-3 fish oil supplements after age 50.
You can learn more about these simple steps here.